Modern Day Farming in Nepal
Today, farming system, modern technology and information are used for the production of the crops and vegetables. In modern farming, farmers have more central roles. Modern day farming has increased the productivity of the cultivable land. Modern day farming helps to maintain the fertility of soil by using machines and technology to create soil conditions appropriate for plant growth with minimal soil loss, drought, insects, diseases and other threats. The use of improved modern genetics for crops and livestock enhances yields, quality and reliability. The attributes of modern day farming are access to effective irrigation, harvesting, handling of storage equipments and techniques to prevent losses.
In today’s world, agriculture is a concerned topic not just because it is an inevitable part of living but also because of its vital role on sustainability. The quantity is one concern whereas quality of new agricultural production is another issue. The use of science and modern technology to produce hybrid seeds, pesticides and fertilizers have increased the agricultural productivity, which is a good aspect, however, the nutrition value of such food has decreased compared to the traditionally grown crops. The major problems are created by fertilizers and pesticides which have long term effects on fertility of soil and consumers health. Many fertilizers create disturbance in ecosystem as well. Also, the production of crops like corn, rice and wheat has increased by the introduction of bio technological advancement in seed production and growth.
- Production is lot quicker which is profitable for farmers.
- Crop protection is achieved by the use of pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, as well as biotechnology products which helps to control the thousands of weed species, harmful insects and numerous plant diseases that afflict crops.
- Soil can be made more fertile by adding soil nutrition after analysis of the soil and suitability for seeds/crop for maximum yield.
- Scientific data & modern technology help in better agricultural inputs & outputs.
- Modern storage & transportation facilities help to reduce wastages.
- Use of modern machinery and mechanization for ploughing, leveling, winnowing, harvesting, spraying, irrigating reduces manual labor.
- Use of fertilizers & pesticides can affect the health of the workers who apply them and also the consumer of those foods.
- Unmanaged use of fertilizers kills useful insects and the crops.
- Causes an imbalance of the natural habitat of most wild creatures and leads to soil erosion.
In Nepal, modern farming has been implemented for the development of agriculture. Previously, the farmers used to labor hard but they were not able to improve their quality of living and were compelled to lead miserable lives. For the last 35 years, Nepali farmers have started using chemical fertilizers and pesticides for producing more crops. However, still there are various places in Nepal which are beyond the reach of these chemical inputs due to lack of transportation facility.
The use of inorganic farming techniques causes the deterioration of soil condition and the problem of producing contaminated crops. With the use of fertilizer, the production is high but the quality of crops gets deteriorated and even differs in the amount of nutrition it provides to us. Similarly, the use of chemicals in agriculture has been decreasing the quality of our food. Due to the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, agriculture products are getting contaminated and unhealthy. Also, using these kinds of chemical inputs affect the ecosystem and imbalance the ecological cycle. It also has direct effect on climatic change and global warming. Organic food is healthier, less polluted and more natural, than conventionally produced foods. Because the quality of the organic products is good, they are expensive.
Rapti Modern Agriculture Farm has established a livestock farm, which is extended at around 1900 bighas of land at Fulbari VDC Ward No. 1 focusing the small farmers. As many as 14 youth entrepreneurs have been involved in the livestock farm. Besides livestock farming, the farm produces various vegetables, fruits, crops, and herbs, among others.